Name and AffiliationMartin Hartmann, Senior Researcher
Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL
8903 Birmensdorf, Switzerland
Research Activities & Expertise
Molecular microbial ecology: Studying the impact of
anthropogenic activities and global
change on the biodiversity and functioning of terrestrial
ecosystems. Ecosystems under investigation include but are not limited to forests, grassland, farmland, cryosphere habitats, and peatlands. Diversity and metabolic potential of the respective microbiome are often assessed using molecular tools including techniques such as metabarcoding, metagenomics and metatranscriptomics.
- Soil Sciences: Understanding the role of the microbiome for fundamental soil processes as well as their interaction with host plants below (rhizosphere, endosphere) as well as above ground (phylosphere, dermosphere).
- Bioinformatics: Developing and customizing software tools for processing next-generation sequencing data sets. Workshops and training schools for analysis of next-generation sequencing data.
- Integrative Visualization: Developing novel approaches to visualize relationships and interactions in large molecular data sets.
- PhD ETH Zurich (2006)
- MSc ETH Zurich (2001)
- BSc ETH Zurich (1998)
- Senior Researcher, Research Institute WSL (since Sept 2016)
- Research Associate, Research Institute WSL (since May 2015)
- Research Associate, Agroscope (2013-2015)
- Research Associate, Research Institute WSL (2012-2014)
- Research Associate, Agroscope (2011-2012)
- Postdoctoral fellow, University of British Columbia (2007-2011)
- Postdoctoral fellow, Swiss Federal Research Station ART (2007)
- 3rd Thünen Symposium on Soil Metagenomics - Workshop on bioinformatic tools for soil microbiologists, 14-16 December 2016, Thünen Institute, Braunschweig, Germany.
- 7th Argonne Soil Metagenomics Meeting - Data Analysis Workshop, 20 Oct 2015, The Hilton Lisle/Naperville, Naperville, Illinois, USA.
- Training school on bioinformatics for amplicon and shotgun metagenome analysis, 14-18 September 2015, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Braunschweig, Germany.
- Amplicon based analysis of microbial populations, 23-27 February 2015, mBioinform, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2nd Thünen Symposium on Soil Metagenomics - Workshop on bioinformatic tools for soil microbiologists, 11-13 December 2013, Thünen Institute, Braunschweig, Germany.
- COST training school ES1103 - Bioinformatics for amplicon and shotgun metagenome analysis, 16-20 September 2013, Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf, Germany.
- 5th Swiss Microbial Ecology Meeting 2013 - CUSO StarOmics Metagenomic data analyses, 4 February 2013, Murten, Switzerland.
- COST training school ES1103 - Bioinformatics for microbial community analysis, 11-14 December 2012, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK.
- International PhD Students Course - Applications in Biodiversity Informatics, 21-24 May 2012, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia.
- Member of the International Society for Microbial Ecology (ISME)
- Editorial board - European Journal of Soil Biology, Frontiers in Terrestrial Microbiology, PeerJ
- Adhoc review (in alphabetic order) - Applied Soil Ecology, Canadian Journal of Microbiology, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Fungal Ecology, Journal of Biomedical Informatics, Journal of Plant Pathology, Microbial Ecology, Molecular Ecology, Nature Methods, New Phytologist, Plant Biosystems, PLoS One, Restoration Ecology, Soil Science Society of America Journal, The ISME Journal.
Where to find me
Keine Tweets gefunden